According to Webster the habit definition is:
- A settled tendency or usual manner of behavior, An acquired behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary.
So essentially it is a tendency or behavior that functions almost on auto-pilot in your life. Well my friends this is good news because you can now create good habits to replace the bad ones with the list below where I show you 105 good habits and healthy habits that I hope will change your life!
- Fishing! As a matter of fact you can learn how to fly fish and look bad ass and learn a new good habit!
- Working Out – Whether it is at the gym or at the house, just get your fit on!
- Meditation – Start of with 10 minutes of watching your breathe or repeat a mantra that will quiet your mind, like OM. If you want more information I wrote an article on how to start meditating and the different types of meditation. Meditation can also put you into alpha brain wave states, which Tony Robbins refers to as a place where ANY problem can be solved! Check it out here: How To Meditate For Beginners. Also if you are looking for a way to find a mantra to use, there is not better article written on it than the one by YogaJournal called The Science Behind Finding Your Mantra
- Hiking – Why not get your tan on and get fit at the same time. Better yet, research different hikes in your area and cycle them, doing a different one each week until you’ve done them all. There even more physical and mental benefits of hiking that are gone into an a great article that talk about how it tones the whole body, controls diabetes, lowers blood pressure, increases creativity and even increases happiness. You can check it out here: Top 10 Benefits of Hiking – Plus it will put you in social situations allowing you to make new fitness friends that can become accountability partners.
- Walking – You can start your fitness journey with a first step! Walking can burn a good amount of calories as well as keep you allowing you soak up some natural Vitamin D.
- Running – You want to take it to the next level, run early in the morning to start your day. Or at night when the city is the most quiet, allowing you to relax and listen and see things that you wouldn’t in the daytime. A awesome article talked about the mental benefits of running including; increased learning ability, better memory, lessens anxiety, better sleep and boosts self esteem. Here is the article if you want to give it a read: 10 Mental Health Benefits of Running
- Listening to Positive Youtube Videos – I mean come on, we have access to a million T.E.D. talks. Seminars that people paid thousands for and motivational clips that can get us flying high in no time. And it is FREE! No excuses.
- Reading Personal Development Books – This doesn’t have to be just in the personal development field. You can also read books in your field. It is said that if you dedicate just one hour a day to studying in your chosen field, you will be a national expert in 5 short years! Hey the time is going to pass anyways, so what do you have to lose!
- Drawing – We all need a creative outlet, why not draw pictures that are in your mind. Or recreate pictures you have took with your phone.
- Blogging for passion and a paycheck! – This can be another creative outlet, but why not download WordPress and get let your creativity fly, hit publish and then market your material to one day get paid for it or off it? You can also be a freelance writer and make money off your writing skills from people that hire you to write for their blog or project. Here is a great guide on how to get started making money online.
- Nature Walks – There is nothing like connecting with the universe through a nature walk. It allows you to breathe fresh air and feel childish and free! There was a study done by Stanford talking about the benefits of nature walks on mental health can help you with depression. The study compared those who walked 90 minutes in nature and 90 minutes in a busting city environment. The study showed a decrease in activity in the region of the brain that is most linked to causing depression.
- Restore A Car – If you have some extra cash and some mechanical skills, why not? Also if you don’t know how to replace or fix something on a car, I almost guarantee that you can find a Youtube tutorial on it!
- Have Breakfast Daily – This is a great habit to get into as you start your day off right with nourishment, feeding your mind and body! It will also regulate hunger for the rest of the day so you aren’t ravenously hungry come lunch time.
- Intermittent Fasting – Or try the opposite! Fast for a 12-18 hours a day. This will allow you to eat a larger amount of calories at one time if you prefer eating big meals like I do!
- Keto Diet – Isn’t it the goal to burn fat for fuel?? Well now you can. When your body gets into ketosis, you will do just that. But this is a good “diet” not lifestyle. So use it sparingly when you are hitting weight loss plateaus.
- Plan your Meals – Not only will this save you money, but you will know exactly what you are eating and how many calories. Helping you lose weight on a budget. Buy some meal prep containers online and spend your Sunday nights packing your meals for the week
- Stay Hydrated – Heart.org says that if you are feeling thirsty, you are already dehydrated! How dehydrated you are is based off of climate, clothes you are wearing and exercise intensity. But how do you know if your hydrated? Well the article simply states: If your urine is clear and pale then you are hydrated, if not then you need to up your water consumption. They also say for every pound of sweat you lose, you need to replenish with a pint of water.
- Take A Day Off A Week From Social Media – This may seem absolutely impossible, so just work up to it. Do it for an hour, then two, then four and so on. YOU CAN DO IT!
- Read Autobiographies – Some of the best and most minds in the world have said that they read autobiographies. Names like Elon Musk and Warren Buffet do so on a very regular basis.
- Learn A New Language – Not only will you create new brain connections, but you will also be more marketable. Allowing you to demand to be paid for being bilingual. You can do so for free with apps like: Duolingo
- Learn Salsa Dancing – Because why the hell not?? Plus you will have a skill that you can teach people on the dance floor, which gains huge amounts of instant popularity. And it is sexy, leading you to having a potentially much better and longer night
- Quit Smoking – Save your breath, save your health, save your clothes. Save your own ass. Plus save a lot of money doing so. If you need help, there is no shame – Here is a great place to start: Smokefree.gov
- Volunteer Your Time – We all have a cause that is near and dear to our hearts, why not lend some time to it?
- Stand Up For A Cause You Believe In – Go on walks and marches. Leave your legacy by walking for a cause you believe in, showing people you aren’t one to back down and that you stand up for what you believe in.
- Run A Marathon – Not the best way to get fit, but preparing for it will get you fit. It could launch you on a fitness journey that last a long long time.
- Envision Your Success Daily – Prioritize your top 5 goals for the next year and envision them vividly until you have mental picture that makes you feel like you already HAVE the goal accomplished. A great article to help you with this can be found at: Addicted2success.com
- Binge Watch Wisely – Trade binge watching mindless TV for binge watching informative documentaries.
- Karate – Learn how to protect yourself through this great daily habit. Now when you are walking in a sketchy neighborhood, you will be prepared to lay an ass whoopin on someone if you have to!
- Surfing – Surfing can be incredibly meditative. It can be a great way to de-stress. There is an awesome article that talks about how it can de-stress because it makes you feel so small in such a big space, taking the energy of you and making your problems look smaller than you originally perceived them. It also allows you to grow because the ocean is always changing, forcing you to adapt to new situations. You can check out that article here: Manrepeller.com
- Body Boarding – If you aren’t ready to shred yet standing up, why not do so on your stomach. It requires less skill and preparation.
- Skim Boarding – Afraid of being in the water? Say on the beach but glide your way across it. I know you are like me though and thinking about all the people that fall on their rear as soon as they start to look cool. Well I’ve got your back. Here is an article on how to skim board. Don’t have the cash to invest in this new hobby? Here is an article on how to create your own board!
- Flying Kites – Want to feel like a kid again? One of the best ways to do so is to get out and let a kite rip! Psychology Today wrote up an article talking about the benefits of hiking saying that it can be a great way to be more mindful, get exercise, socialize and create more optimism. Plus it puts you out in nature, allowing you get get away from other indoor habits that limit your joy!
- Bodybuilding – I am a natural bodybuilder so I have to advocate staying natty! But as far as benefits go, bodybuilding can allow you to create more self esteem, more purpose as you are always trying to create a balanced physique, more social and more creative as you always have to adapt to plateaus with new routines and exercises. Beware of the health and fitness myths out there though when getting started, there are a lot of lies in the industry!
- Powerlifting – Look when it comes to being a beast, there is not better way to do so then to become a power lifter. They are the superheroes who walk amongst us each day. Just make sure to master form before moving in weight and one day you an be setting world records with you bench, dead lift and squat!
- Meal Creation For Others – Not only can you create your own meals during this process for your week, you can also get paid to do so for other people! Everyone is busy and you can capitalize on this by creating a meal creation business. You can market it for free on Craigslist to target a local audience!
- Prayer – There gets to a point where you may feel out of control or that you need help outside yourself and your core group. Well you can surrender your problems over a higher power. Call it whatever you want. You don’t need to be religious to pray.
- Magic Tricks – I don’t care how old you are, magic is damn cool! Not only can you learn it, but then you can go do the magic tricks on the local sidewalks of your bustling city and put a tip jar out! You will also be the coolest person at every party!
- Read More – The more you learn the more you earn! Plus your vocabulary expands allowing you to be a better communicator.
- Master Communication – Did you know the only diploma that hangs on the wall of Warren Buffets office is a certificate of completion for a communication course put on by Dale Carnegie? He was a young man and poor before he took that course and realized the only way to be successful in life is to be a great communicator. If you can’t communicate your thoughts and feelings, you may be all the potential in the world but it won’t mean anything! So create better communication habits that will set you up for an easier and more profitable life!
- Learn How To Act – Not only can you make money off of it from plays and movies, but it can also make you better in life. BENEFITS OF ACTING ……
- Toastmasters – Did you know a large majority of the population would rather die than public speak!? It is true. Why not break through the ultimate fear by becoming a member at Toastmasters? The more you break through this fear, the more daily life will be less scary and you will become a master at one one one as well as group communication!
- Chew Your Food More – Especially when we are in a hurry, we throw food back like animals who arrived at their first meal in days after being out in wild! Experts at Ohio State University talk about how you can slide by with 5-10 chews before swallowing with soft foods. But you need to jack that number up to 30 if you are eating vegetables and meat. This is due to the simple fact that digestion starts in the mouth releasing enzymes as you chew your food. The more enzymes released, the better your digestion will ultimately be. By chewing more thoroughly you will avoid digestion problem that comes from to large of food particles being swallowed before being efficiently chewed.
- Quit Drinking – I wrote a guide on how to quit drinking for good! Check it out Recovery Protocol.
- Family Day Once A Week – Life is so short. It is easy to get caught in the rat race and end up forgetting the most important things in life. The best thing about it is that you can do this for free. Go to the beach, play touch football at the park or go for a hike together. The best things in life are free and doing them with the whole family makes it that much better.
- Keep A Sleep Log – A great article talked about the 4 reasons you should keep a sleep log including: you become proactive about your sleep, you get a better idea of your sleep patterns, it can help a doctor diagnose properly and monitor the progress of healing. Another article talked about how you should create a chart and and fill it in each night, the chart should include: how long and well you slept, when you were awake during the night, medications your on, caffeine consumption, what time you exercised, emotion and stress you had and what and when you ate and drank.
- Try A New Sport – Brobible talks about the benefits of learning a new sport and how there was a study done with mice introducing them to a more challenge wheel to run on. It increased their myleniation of neurons which is the process of messages being communicated through neurons. The conclusion of the study is that trying a new sport can potentially create new brain growth compared to doing activities that you are used to doing!
- Go To A Nude Beach – Do you know that there are more benefits than just getting a tan that come from going nude?? An awesome article talks about the benefit of stripping down on the beach including: boosting self confidence and life tolerance, enhances circulation and detoxification, improves fertility and even relaxes you!
- Stretch Routine – A great article talked about the benefits of stretching in the morning including improving brain activity, reducing body aches, and increase mobility. It also gives an awesome morning stretch routine. By doing your stretching upon awakening, you are knocking out a small victory that will allow you to build momentum early on because on task is already checked off.
- Dedicated Morning Routine – By clicking the link it will take you to a list of things to do in the morning that will give you the best start to the day!
- Read Positive Quotes Daily – We’ve got you covered here! By clicking on the link it will take you to a list of 500 motivational quotes!
Come back tomorrow for #51-105 Good and Healthy Habits from Guest Blogger, Chris Cucchiara; or check our his webpage: http://personaldevelopfit.com/healthy-habits/?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=51577051
Start everyday with a good night's sleep. If it has been awhile since you have, call Alaska Sleep Clinic for a free sleep assessment.