New moms and dads are certainly extremely happy to finally be able to hold their baby. It’s one of the happiest moments in the lives of each person. But with happiness and joy, comes responsibility, and some work to do.
Parents should do everything right. Feeding, taking care of the little newborn, playing and spending time with the child, and organizing proper sleep. A lot of new parents know how it could be difficult to sleep when having a newborn child around.
So, it’s a good idea to learn about baby sleeping habits. The tips below would be extremely helpful for parents who have just had their first baby. Organizing proper sleep for a baby would make it easier for parents to get enough sleep and to help the baby grow up healthy and satisfied.
First things first, never sleep with your baby in the bed since it could cause suffocation. There are lots of things that can endanger your baby’s sleep and cause harm or even death. Make sure to get a separate place for your baby to sleep in, for example, a crib or a bassinet.
It would be a great idea to place a bassinet near your sleeping place, so the child is near you. First, it’s easier for parents to check on the baby’s condition at night. Second, being closer to the baby helps to reduce stress, boosts the immune system, and regulates the baby's heart rate.
You should provide a safe sleeping environment. A lot of infant deaths happen because of the unsafe conditions of babies when they are asleep. Children die of suffocation, entrapments, strangulation. So, here are a few tips to make sure your baby is safe when asleep:
- Newborns up to 1 year should sleep on their backs. If you see a baby rolled on the tummy or the side, you should put your baby back in position. If your baby is already able to roll back on its own, you may leave your child asleep.
- Always place a baby on a firm, flat, and safe surface. The baby should be 100% secure, without any risks of falling.
- Check the current health and safety requirements of baby cribs or bassinets. Choose a proper crib that meets all the standards and thus is safe.
- Never put a child to sleep on an inclined surface.
- Don’t put a baby to sleep on a sofa, water bed, cushion, sheepskin (or on similar items), or on any other unsafe surface. A baby might suffocate or fall, so it’s not safe.
- Don’t fall asleep while sitting somewhere and holding your baby. The same rule applies if you are in bed and holding a baby, it’s very dangerous.
- Keep away from a baby’s crib any objects that can cause danger. For example, stuffed animals or toys, sheepskin, pads, pillows, comforters, etc. These objects can cause entrapment, strangulation, or suffocation.
Sticking to these rules will make sure your baby is safe when asleep. Try to keep the child in a bassinet near you when it’s sleep time, so you can check on the baby's condition.
Parents joke a lot about surviving when babies are small and need all the attention from their parents. One of the most common things that parents mention is lack of sleep. But there is a way to have enough sleep when you have a newborn baby. It will take time to develop a habit, so it’s not as easy as making bets on CS betting sites, but it’s accomplishable. Here are some tips:
- Keep your newborn entertained during the day. Talk or play with your child, spend time, be entertaining and fun as much as possible. Babies during their first weeks of life are aware of the surroundings and people around them. It’s a great time to start bonding with a child. Moreover, if your baby is entertained during the day, he is more tired during the night and can get a healthy and long, undisruptive sleep.
- Be boring during the night. It’s simple, don’t turn on the lights or keep the light very low. Move slowly, don’t make any abrupt gestures or movements. It would also be a good idea to make sure your baby sees the bright light in the morning, so it would help differentiate between day and night times.
- Don’t force your baby to sleep when it is convenient for you. If the baby wants to sleep during the day, you should let him sleep. If the mentioned above tips don’t work, don’t worry, the baby will develop a healthy sleep schedule within time.
There is also one interesting piece of advice concerning baby cries during the night. It’s still just a thought, not even a recommendation, but some scientists think parents should let their babies cry for a bit longer.
For example, don’t pick your baby for around three minutes. As cruel as it sounds not to pick a crying baby to calm him down, it could be better in the long run. That’s how babies learn to calm themselves down, so it would be a good skill for them in the future. But that’s just a thought and parents can act accordingly and how they feel is better for their newborns.
When you are trying to put your baby to sleep, it might be difficult at times. But if you create a special bedtime routine, it might help the baby to understand what to expect. For example, keep accomplishing several actions in the same order. For example, a bath, a massage, a lullaby, rocking, etc. The baby will eventually fall for the routine and will be falling asleep as soon as you complete the last action in the routine.
Such actions are monotonous, but they help your baby to stick to the well-planned schedule. It’s suggested to do several 20 or 30 minutes of activities. For example, choose 3 or 4 soothing actions before putting your child to sleep.
Even with the responsibility that parents have to take, it is still one of the best times. Securing a safe sleep is one of the most important things to do. Make sure you stick to the rules and recommendations, and this period will be easy for you.
Hopefully with just a few tweaks, you’ll be able to help your baby learn how to fall asleep on his or her own, giving everyone in your home some well-deserved rest. However, the long-term effects of sleep deprivation can be critical. If you’re finding that your little one is still not getting enough sleep at night, or you yourself are developing insomnia after countless nights of unrest, then be sure to reach out to your nearest sleep clinic for an evaluation.
Luckily, the sleep experts here at Alaska Sleep Clinic know all about sleep dilemmas, from insomnia to Obstructive Sleep Apnea. If you live in the Anchorage, Alaska area, then be sure to give our experts a call for a free 10-minute consultation.