A few weeks ago we wrote about the best foods to aid in sleep, but what are the worst? Obviously you shouldn’t be drinking coffee at 8pm or a sugary cupcake just before bedtime, but did you know there are other less obvious foods that are just as bad for getting some good shuteye? Turns out there are; here are five.
- Fatty foods. Put down the bacon cheeseburger. Studies show that foods high in fat, including some meats, can lead to disrupted sleep by causing heartburn or stomach issues.
- Alcohol. That glass of red wine may make you drowsy and help you fall asleep, but the sleep you get won’t be past REM.
- Spicy food. There is evidence that besides giving you heartburn, spicy foods can also cause nightmares. Is the curry worth it?
- Chocolate. It seems innocuous, especially dark chocolate, but it packs a caffeine punch that can keep you awake way past bedtime.
- Citrus. Grapefruit in particular is acidic and can cause nighttime restlessness.
Any other foods give you sleep trouble?