What is this going to cost? If not asked out loud you definitely know people are thinking it in their head. With so many expenditures and costs in a monthly budget, medical conditions can arise out of nowhere.
The benefits of a healthy night sleep outweighs lack of sleep. By practicing healthy sleeping versus binge-sleeping, the benefits can help save you money in the end.
- Keeps you healthy. Physically, an individual's immune system is compromised with little sleep making them more likely to get sick. Sleep deprivation is linked to heart disease, cancer, type 2 diabetes, and obesity.
- Helps anxiety and depression. Emotionally, an individual with little sleep has a tougher time balancing their mood, and is prone to produce higher levels of stress hormones, resulting in increased anxiety or the development of depression.
- Reduces inflammation. According to Very Well health, "increased stress hormones caused by lack of sleep raises the level of inflammation in your body. This creates a greater risk for heart-related conditions, as well as cancer and diabetes. Inflammation is thought to cause the body to deteriorate as we age."
- Improves your memory. On a cognitive level, sleep deprivation impacts the brain’s ability to process memories and make sound judgment, so the individual becomes more forgetful, less able to retain learnings from the day, and more likely to behave rashly or make poor decisions.
- Repairs the body and mind. Dr. Michael Twery, director of the National Center on Sleep Disorders Research for National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, says sleeping is one part of a rhythm for your body. When disrupted, your body inefficiently functions causing health and mental issues to rise. Helping your brain reset during the REM cycle is key to maintaining normal cognitive brain functionality.
- Helps you stay alert. Have you ever nodded off in school or on the job? Hopefully the answer is no and a few more yawns after a restless night were a factor. But to stay alert and contribute to your school work or job well, a full night’s rest is key.
The normal signs of insomnia are not always from staying up past midnight. If you snores, sleep apnea may be the reason. A person with obstructive sleep apnea temporarily stops breathing during sleep because the airway becomes narrowed or blocked.
One common cause of obstructive sleep apnea is enlarged tonsils or adenoids (tissues located in the passage that connects the nose and throat). Being overweight or obese also can put someone at risk for it.
People with this sleep disorder may snore, have difficulty breathing, and even sweat heavily during sleep. Because it disrupts sleep, a person may feel extremely sleepy or irritable during the day. People who show signs of obstructive sleep apnea, such as loud snoring or excessive daytime sleepiness, should talk to their doctor.
The Alaska Sleep Clinic has multiple options for you to fight sleep disorders preventing the full repair of your body and mind. With the Transcend model, out of pocket expenses start at just $5 up to $510 depending on the needs of your diagnosis.
At a higher price model, DreamStation Go has machines starting at $800 that include all the necessities like the hoses, cord, filters, and accessories. An added bonus is the Bluetooth capability with the DreamMapper program.
If you travel frequently on business or internationally by plane, you probably need a smaller portable option. The DreamStation Go offers users the same options with Bluetooth compatibility and a 13 hour battery life.
Those looking for a more budget-friendly product may be recommended SoClean 2 or SoClean 2 Go machines that range from $219 to $319 in price. Accessories are available for SoClean machines starting at $8.
Outside the machine costs through Alaska Sleep Clinic, some patients may be recommended to purchase a Contour CPAPmax pillow. These pillows range in pricing from $80 to $90 with the option of purchasing pillow cases and covers from Contour starting at $20.
Insurance plays a large role in your sleep budgeting so do not let sticker pricing shock you into ignoring your options. With more sleep and less irritability, your life can be set on a path of healthy living that equates to cost-saving measures from future health issues.
Hopefully this article has educated you on the benefits of sleep and how you can budget for a good night’s rest. With insurance, a little goes a long way with a doctor’s recommendation.
To schedule a FREE consultation (your eyes perked up at the word FREE), the Alaska Sleep Clinic can start the process of getting you back on track to a restless night: beginning to end.